There is a ton of different kinds of shampoos on the market, and it can be hard to know which ones are worth buying. One of the most under rated kinds, that most people tend to ignore, are clarifying shampoos!
A clarifying shampoo is, in essence, a deep clean for the hair : it gets rid of excess build up and unwanted deposits! It achieves this by being made with deeper cleaning agents and a slightly more alkaline pH – so it’s definitely not meant to be used on the daily!!
Here we’ll list the benefits for each hair types of using a clarifying shampoo every once in a while – usually when your scalp starts to get itchy, when your hair feels weighed down and heavy, or when it starts to get greasy too fast! Depending on how much styling products you use, and how your hair feels, we’d recommend using a clarifying shampoo once or twice a month.
Remember to always buy a professional clarifying shampoo ! A professional shampoo will be gentle but effective, as well as being safe on colored hair!
However, do avoid clarifying shampoos if you wash your hair daily, if you don’t really use any hair products, if you have bright, funky colored hair and/or if your hair is severely damaged!
We also recommend always using a conditioner (or even better, a mask!) after using a clarifying shampoo to rebalance the oils post clean!
Fine hair :
Porosity issues and volumizing products can cause buildup!
Not all buildup washes away with color safe, gentle shampoos
Missing protein naturally, fine hair is more likely to absorb minerals & chemicals from the water, which has a tendency to throw off the pH balance of your hair
Fine hair is the only type that could use a clarifying shampoo weekly, if they use a lot of products, or regularly go to the swimming pool
Medium/Thick hair :
- Clarifying shampoo will help remove silicones and excess oils from the surface of the hair
- Contrary to popular belief, it’s important to strip the hair surface clean because a lot of hair products leave a film behind to seal in moisture & keep humidity out
- If never stripped clean, the products build on top of each other and a lot of residue if left, which after a while prevents hydration from penetrating the hair.
Curly hair :
- Curls can benefit from a clarifying shampoo because they are a hair type that usually uses a lot of products that leave a lot of residue behind.
- Curly hair types also washes their hair less on average, causing more build up.
- Naturally dryer, curly hair will have a tendency to absorb more scents and chemicals from the air and water they come across !
- Curly hair can use a clarifying shampoo 1-2 times per month followed by a deep moisture mask